Online Spelling Bee – Ontario, Canada- Grade 1-6
Registration Period – Registration will commence from May 10th – June 25th till 5:00 pm
Spelling Bee Competition Date – June 26th (Saturday)/27th (Sunday)
Time – Please select the day and time as per the participant’s grade when filling out the form below.
Who Can Participate – Any participant that meets the requirements noted below could participate.
Preparation – The ‘Words List’ will be provided to the participants to prepare for the competition after registration.
Online Competition – It will be held on Zoom Online.
Application Fee – $25 per student
StudentScholars is happy to introduce the Online Spelling Bee Ontario for Grades 1-6.
In the Spelling Bee the contestants will be asked to spell a broad selection of words, usually with a varying degree of difficulty.
Benefits of Spelling
-Spelling Bee helps to promote literacy by providing children to work towards a positive goal. It gives them an opportunity to display their ability and talent and gain fruitful benefits for their hard work. Furthermore, the spelling bee helps children with spelling and comprehension, as well as aid children in developing study skills and learning concepts.
-The benefits of Spelling Bees extend beyond language: Since children are required to spell words in-front of others, kids also develop self-confidence, communication and public speaking skills, and the ability to thrive under pressure.
Children’s Age- 6-11 years
Ontario School– Grades 1 – 6
Grades 1-6 are eligible when fulfilling the following age criteria:
Year of Birth:
Grade 1 – Should be born in 2014
Grade 2 – Should be born in 2013
Grade 3 – Should be born in 2012
Grade 4 – Should be born in 2011
Grade 5 – Should be born in 2010
Grade 6 – Should be born in 2009
Location: Students should be residing in Ontario, Canada.
Method Of Competition:
1.The Spelling Bee will be held in rounds, and will continue for several rounds until a winner is selected. If the contestant successfully spells his / her assigned word, they will be notified, and the next contestant will be called upon to spell his / her word.
2. The First round will be a practice round and there will be no eliminations during this round.
3.A Judge will provide the contestant a word.
4.Contestants MUST repeat their word before spelling them and after spelling them.
5.If a word is unclear to a contestant, it is the responsibility of the contestant to request that the word be
- defined and/or used in a sentence before he or she starts spelling the word.
- The Pronouncer will grant the request(s) until the officials agree that the word has been made reasonably clear to the contestant
6. If a word is a homophone, a Judge will give the definition and an example sentence without being asked.
- A timer will be used to manage the contestant’s time.
- The child has 45 seconds after the acknowledgement of the word.
- If a child starts spelling the word, it will be considered as an acknowledgement and the timer will start.
- The Judge(s) will disqualify any speller who does not provide a complete spelling before time expires (0 seconds)
7. In the event of a contestant spells an incorrect word, the contestant will be eliminated.
8. Once a contestant has begun to spell a word, he or she may not ask for a word to be re-pronounced, defined or used in a sentence.
9. For all the words with capitals, the speller must indicate the capital. For example, London, the speller must say “Capital L-o-n-d-o-n.”
10. Only the spelling listed in the Canadian Oxford English Dictionary for the word will be accepted.
11. All Judge(s) decisions will be final. Judges may disqualify any contestants at any time for the following:
- Missing a round for any reason.
- Contestants are disruptive or rude.
- Ignore requests from the Judges.
- In the process of retracing a word, alter the letters or order of the letters from their first attempt.
- While spelling a word, utter unintelligible or gibberish sounds.
- If the judge deems the contestant to be cheating.
- If the contestant turns off their video or audio.
Awards For Each Grade:
-1st Place – Gold Medal & Certificate
– 2nd Place –Silver Medal & Certificate
– 3rd Plate – Bronze Medal & Certificate
-All Other Participants Will be Awarded With a Certificate of Participation
Rules of the Competition:
- Participants should be residing in Ontario and should be enrolled in a school in Ontario as per the year of birth year criteria given above.
- Participants should register to the spelling bee and take the test as per their own grade level. Only the registered participant should take the test.
- Participants should have a fast internet connection. If a participant gets disconnected during the entire duration of the round, the student will be deemed disqualified.
- Participant should be alone and strictly appear for the test without any assistance from a third party. This includes; no person should be sitting beside the participant or standing behind the participant.
- Participant should be in a quiet environment and sit in front of a still background. Preferably a wall as a background is advisable. If a participant’s background is noisy, they will be asked to leave and disconnect from the test as it will disturb the other participants.
- Participants should have their video and audio on the device turned-on for the entire duration of the spelling bee.
- Participants should not have any visual video backgrounds/screen savers etc. during the spelling bee.
- Participants should not access any devices or should not use the internet during the competition.
- Participants at all times should be directly looking at the screen.
- No headphones are allowed during the test.
- The use of any writing instruments i.e. pens, pencils, and paper, will NOT be allowed and will result in automatic disqualification.
- Participants should not talk to anyone in the room during the test.
- The test will be live and recorded to make sure the above criteria have been met by all candidates.
If the participant fails to comply with the stipulated rules and regulations, he/she will be disqualified.
How to Register:
Step 1 – Please fill in the registration form and make the payment in order to register your child.
Step 2 – Payment invoice will be emailed to you within 24-48 hours after we receive your registration form.
How to Prepare:
- A list of preparation words will be sent to all the participants.
Please contact us if you require any further information
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel – 905-604-7740